Saturday, November 3, 2007

Evening Shanti

Walking through Aranmula vilage at 9pm on a Saturday night, having walked a French student to her home about 15 minutes walk from my house. A group of us have spent the last hour or so chatting in our house about each other's families, what position in the family we are, and our relationships with our parents and siblings. Now the evening has ended but some of the students are watchinga DVD in one of the other houses. Sabine and I walk to her house and then I return on my own. This is a beautiful time in the village. Most families have retreated to their homes and to bed - village life begins early morning and nightlife does not exist. A clear black sky with stars. Shadow outlines of the banana trees and palm trees. An occasional autorickshaw drives past and lights up the road briefly. I carry my torch and use it to indicate to a few bicycle riders that I am there and also to avoid stomping in any huge puddles. In windows of houses there is the flicker of candles or small lamps. At Tharayil Mukku junction (where 2 roads meet in the "hub" of our part of the village) there is a late night vendor of roasted nuts and a couple of the little stores are open - I could buy a packet of chocolate biscuits if I wanted to. Small groups of men are gathered in 3s or 4s at these places having a late night chat as they buy whatever supplies they need at that hour. I am surprised to notice that the village barber shop is still open but I see through the door that the barber is sweeping up. The air is warm and pleasant. I feel alive and grateful to be in this little community.