Monday, October 1, 2007

Welcome

Welcome to my blog of my trip to Vijnana Kala Vedi Cultural Centre (VKV) in Aranmula Village, Kerala.

If you are interested in finding out more about my home for 13 weeks, visit VKV's website:
http://www.vijnanakalavedi.org/

As many of my readers will know, this is my second trip to VKV - I was there in Dec 2004 / Jan 2005 (during the infamous tsunami) Some of my current readers were also there at that time and have become friends through the experience. So now almost 3 years later I am on my way to Kerala again, to continue my Indian percussion internship.

Kerala: "God's own country"
Rivers, "backwaters", beaches
Green paddy fields
Tropical climate
Monsoon
Coconut trees, palm trees, jasmine, hibiscus
Often communist government
Highest literacy rates in India
Language: Malayalam
Hindu, Moslem, Christian et al
Rich in arts and festivals

3 years means change and difference. My 5 week stay last time was profound and energising. Much has changed since that time - in my life and in the life of Aranmula village. There are different VKV staff members. There are different co-students. And I am different, at a different point in my life. Watch this space to see how it all unfolds.